Helpful Hints
  • (1) You can search the entire content of Dean’s by phrase or by individual words. Just type your keywords into the search box and then pull down the search icon on the right and choose the option you need: search by word or by phrase or reset the content.
  • (2) Double click on a word in the content of a definition, and if the word is listed as a keyword in Dean’s, it will look that word up.
  • (3) You can use the search function to help jump the scrolling function. Simply type the first 2-3 letters into the search box then hit enter on your keyboard and the scroll will go to those Keywords that begin with those letters and allow you to scroll from there.

 Neither the language nor the history of the Code indicates whether and to what extent property exchanged must differ to count as a 'disposition of property' under § 1001(a). Nonetheless, courts readily agree that an exchange of property gives rise to a realization event under § 1001(a) only if the properties exchanged are 'materially different.' The Commissioner himself has by regulation construed § 1001(a) to embody a material difference requirement: 'Except as otherwise provided . . . the gain or loss realized from the conversion of property into cash, or from the exchange of property for other property differing materially either in kind or in extent, is treated as income or as loss sustained.' Treas. Reg. § 1.1001-1, 26 CFR § 1.1001-1 (1990) (emphasis added). 

Treasury Regulation § 1.001-1 is consistent with our landmark precedents on realization. In a series of early decisions involving the tax effects of property exchanges, the Court made clear that a taxpayer realizes taxable income only if the properties exchanged are 'materially' or 'essentially' different. See United States v. Phellis, 257 U.S. 156, 173 (1921); Weiss v. Stearn, 265 U.S. 242, 253-254 (1924); Marr v. United States, 268 U.S. 536, ...

Register or login to access full content