Helpful Hints
  • (1) You can search the entire content of Dean’s by phrase or by individual words. Just type your keywords into the search box and then pull down the search icon on the right and choose the option you need: search by word or by phrase or reset the content.
  • (2) Double click on a word in the content of a definition, and if the word is listed as a keyword in Dean’s, it will look that word up.
  • (3) You can use the search function to help jump the scrolling function. Simply type the first 2-3 letters into the search box then hit enter on your keyboard and the scroll will go to those Keywords that begin with those letters and allow you to scroll from there.

 Sec. 165, Internal Revenue Code of 1954, so far as pertinent provides: 'Sec. 165. Losses. (a) General Rule. -- There shall be allowed as a deduction any loss sustained during the taxable year and not compensated for by insurance or otherwise. * * * (c) Limitation on Losses of Individuals. -- In the case of an individual, the deduction under subsection (a) shall be limited to -- * * * (3) Losses of property not connected with a trade or business, if such losses arise from fire, storm, shipwreck, or other casualty, or from theft. * * *' 

The specific losses named are fire, storm, shipwreck, and theft. Each of those surely involves physical damage or loss of the physical property. Thus, courts read 'or other casualty,' in para materia, meaning 'something like those specifically mentioned.' The first things that one thinks of as 'other casualty losses' are earthquakes and automobile collision losses, both involving physical damage losses. See Citizens Bank of Weston v. Commissioner, 252 F.2d 425 and United States v. White Dental Co., 274 U.S. 398, 47 S. Ct. 598, 71 L. Ed. 1120. 

 In construing the term 'other casualty' ...

Register or login to access full content