n. The swell of the sea which breaks upon the shore, esp. upon a sloping beach. Surf bird (Zool.), a ploverlike bird of the genus Aphriza, allied to the turnstone.
- Surf clam (Zool.), a large clam living on the open coast, especially Mactra, or Spisula, solidissima. See Mactra.
- Surf duck (Zool.), any one of several species of sea ducks of the genus Oidemia, especially O. percpicillata; - called also surf scoter. See the Note under Scoter.
- Surf fish (Zool.), any one of numerous species of California embiotocoid fishes. See Embiotocoid.
- Surf smelt. (Zool.) See Smelt.
- Surf whiting. (Zool.) See under Whiting.
- n. The bottom of a drain.