n. (Bot.) A fragrant edible berry, of a delicious taste and commonly of a red color, the fruit of a plant of the genus Fragaria, of which there are many varieties. Also, the plant bearing the fruit. The common American strawberry is Fragaria virginiana; the European, F. vesca. There are also other less common species. Strawberry bass. (Zool.) See Calico bass, under Calico.
- Strawberry blite. (Bot.) See under Blite.
- Strawberry borer (Zool.), any one of several species of insects whose larvæ burrow in the crown or roots of the strawberry vine. Especially: (a) The root borer a very small dark gray moth whose larvæ burrow both in the larger roots and crown, often doing great damage. (b) The crown borer a small brown weevil whose larva burrows in the crown and kills the plant.
- Strawberry bush (Bot.), an American shrub (Euonymus Americanus), a kind of spindle tree having crimson pods and the seeds covered with a scarlet aril.
- Strawberry crab (Zool.), a small European spider crab (Eurynome aspera); - so called because the back is covered with pink tubercles.
- Strawberry fish (Zool.), the ...