adj. Belonging to another country; foreign. Of or pertaining to others; not one's own; not pertaining to one's self; not domestic. Not before known, heard, or seen; new. Not according to the common way; novel; odd; unusual; irregular; extraordinary; unnatural; queer. Reserved; distant in deportment. Backward; slow. Not familiar; unaccustomed; inexperienced. Strange is often used as an exclamation. Strange sail (Naut.), an unknown vessel.
- Strange woman (Script.), a harlot.
- To make it strange. (a) To assume ignorance, suspicion, or alarm, concerning it. (b) To make it a matter of difficulty.
- To make strange, To make one's self strange. (a) To profess ignorance or astonishment. (b) To assume the character of a stranger.
Syn. - Foreign; new; outlandish; wonderful; astonishing; marvelous; unusual; odd; uncommon; irregular; queer; eccentric.
- adv. Strangely.
- vb. To alienate; to estrange.
- vb. To be estranged or alienated. To wonder; to be astonished.