An abbreviation for Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty.
- vb. To leap; to jump. To move suddenly, as with a spring or leap, from surprise, pain, or other sudden feeling or emotion, or by a voluntary act. To set out; to commence a course, as a race or journey; to begin; as, to start business. To become somewhat displaced or loosened; as, a rivet or a seam may start under strain or pressure. To start after, to set out after; to follow; to pursue.
- To start against, to act as a rival candidate against.
- To start for, to be a candidate for, as an office.
- To start up, to rise suddenly, as from a seat or couch; to come suddenly into notice or importance.
- vb. To cause to move suddenly; to disturb suddenly; to startle; to alarm; to rouse; to cause to flee or fly; as, the hounds started a fox. To bring onto being or into view; to originate; to invent. To cause to move or act; to set going, running, or flowing; as, to start a railway train; to start a mill; ...