adj. Consisting of, or resembling, air; having the properties of an elastic fluid; gaseous; opposed to dense or solid. Of or pertaining to air, or to elastic fluids or their properties; pertaining to pneumatics; as, pneumatic experiments. Moved or worked by pressure or flow of air; as, a pneumatic instrument; a pneumatic engine.
- (Biol.) Fitted to contain air; Having cavities filled with air; as, pneumatic cells; pneumatic bones.
- Pneumatic action, or Pneumatic lever (Mus.), a contrivance for overcoming the resistance of the keys and other movable parts in an organ, by causing compressed air from the wind chest to move them.
- Pneumatic dispatch, a system of tubes, leading to various points, through which letters, packages, etc., are sent, by the flow and pressure of air.
- Pneumatic elevator, a hoisting machine worked by compressed air.
- Pneumatic pile, a tubular pile or cylinder of large diameter sunk by atmospheric pressure. - Pneumatic pump, an air-exhausting or forcing pump.
- Pneumatic railway. See Atmospheric railway, under Atmospheric.
- Pneumatic syringe, a stout tube closed at one end, and provided with a piston, ...