n. The act of expanding or spreading out; the condition of being expanded; dilation; enlargement. That which is expanded; expanse; extend surface; as, the expansion of a sheet or of a lake; the expansion was formed of metal. Space through which anything is expanded; also, pure space.
- (Com.) Enlargement or extension of business transactions; esp., increase of the circulation of bank notes.
- (Math.) The developed result of an indicated operation; as, the expansion of (a + b)2 is a2 + 2ab + b2.
- (Steam Engine) The operation of steam in a cylinder after its communication with the boiler has been cut off, by which it continues to exert pressure upon the moving piston.
- (Nav. Arch.) The enlargement of the ship mathematically from a model or drawing to the full or building size, in the process of construction. Expansion is also used adjectively, as in expansion joint, expansion gear, etc. Expansion curve, a curve the coordinates of which show the relation between the pressure and volume of expanding gas or vapor; esp.
- (Steam engine), that part of an indicator ...