adv. At any time; at any period or point of time. At all times; through all time; always; forever. Without cessation; continually. Ever and anon, now and then; often. See under Anon.
- Ever is one, continually; constantly. [Obs.]
- Ever so, in whatever degree; to whatever extent; - used to intensify indefinitely the meaning of the associated adjective or adverb. See Never so, under Never.
- For ever, eternally. See Forever.
- For ever and a day, emphatically forever.
- Or ever before. See Or, ere. Ever is sometimes joined to its adjective by a hyphen, but in most cases the hyphen is needless; as, ever memorable, ever watchful, ever burning.