Helpful Hints
  • (1) You can search the entire content of Dean’s by phrase or by individual words. Just type your keywords into the search box and then pull down the search icon on the right and choose the option you need: search by word or by phrase or reset the content.
  • (2) Double click on a word in the content of a definition, and if the word is listed as a keyword in Dean’s, it will look that word up.
  • (3) You can use the search function to help jump the scrolling function. Simply type the first 2-3 letters into the search box then hit enter on your keyboard and the scroll will go to those Keywords that begin with those letters and allow you to scroll from there.

California Family Code Section 1100(b) prohibits a spouse from gifting or transferring an item for less than fair and reasonable value without the written consent of the other spouse. Only the non-donor spouse has standing to set aside the transaction. A finding of estoppel or ratification of an oral approval by the non-donor spouse will not be tolerated or allowed as a defense to 1100(b). A gift or transfer for less than fair value is voidable. The non-donor spouse can recover the full amount of the property prior to dissolution of the community and after dissolution the non-donor may recover one-half the property. The transferee is not liable for fair use or profits because the gift is voidable.

Section 1100 had been renamed. Section 172 of the Civil Code provides: '. . . [The] husband has the management and control of the community personal property, with like absolute power of disposition, other than testamentary, as he has of his separate estate; provided, however, that he cannot make a gift of such community personal property, or dispose of the same without a valuable consideration . . . without the written consent of the wife.' Gifts made without the consent ...

Register or login to access full content