Helpful Hints
  • (1) You can search the entire content of Dean’s by phrase or by individual words. Just type your keywords into the search box and then pull down the search icon on the right and choose the option you need: search by word or by phrase or reset the content.
  • (2) Double click on a word in the content of a definition, and if the word is listed as a keyword in Dean’s, it will look that word up.
  • (3) You can use the search function to help jump the scrolling function. Simply type the first 2-3 letters into the search box then hit enter on your keyboard and the scroll will go to those Keywords that begin with those letters and allow you to scroll from there.

 Jurisdiction to adjudicate matters in a marital case involves three requirements: 1) that the court have authority to adjudicate the specific matter raised by the pleadings (subject matter jurisdiction) (see Fam. Code, § 2010); 2) that the court have 'in rem' jurisdiction over the marital 'res' to terminate marital status ('in rem' jurisdiction) (see Marriage of Zierenberg (1992) 11 Cal. App. 4th 1436, 1444-1445 [16 Cal. Rptr. 2d 238]); and 3) that the court have jurisdiction over the parties to adjudicate personal rights and obligations (personal jurisdiction). (See Code Civ. Proc., § 410.10; Burnham v. Superior Court (1990) 495 U.S. 604 [109 L. Ed. 2d 631, 110 S. Ct. 2105] (Burnham); In re Marriage of Fitzgerald & King (1995) 39 Cal. App. 4th 1419, 1425 [46 Cal. Rptr. 2d 558] (Fitzgerald & King).)

Once the court has met these jurisdictional requirements it may determine not only the marital status, but also the personal rights and obligations of the parties, including custody and support of minor children of the marriage, spousal support, settlement and division of the parties' property rights, and the award of costs and attorney fees. (Fam. Code, § 2010. ) With regard ...

Register or login to access full content