A union of different things. A patent may be taken out for a new combination of existing machinery, or machines and composition of matter. By combination is understood, in a bad sense, a union of men for the purpose of violating the law.
- n. The act or process of combining or uniting persons and things. The result of combining or uniting; union of persons or things; esp. a union or alliance of persons or states to effect some purpose; - usually in a bad sense.
- (Chem.) The act or process of uniting by chemical affinity, by which substances unite with each other in definite proportions by weight to form distinct compounds.
- pl. (Math.) The different arrangements of a number of objects, as letters, into groups.
- Combination car, a railroad car containing two or more compartments used for different purposes.
- Combination lock, a lock in which the mechanism is controlled by means of a movable dial (sometimes by several dials or rings) inscribed with letters or other characters. The bolt of the lock cannot be operated until after the dial has been so turned ...