imp. of Cleave. Cleft. Clove hitch (Naut.) See under Hitch.
- Clove hook (Naut.), an iron two-part hook, with jaws overlapping, used in bending chain sheets to the clews of sails; - called also clip hook.
- n. A cleft; a gap; a ravine; - rarely used except as part of a proper name; as, Kaaterskill Clove; Stone Clove.
- n. A very pungent aromatic spice, the unexpanded flower bud of the clove tree a native of the Molucca Isles. Clove camphor. (Chem.) See Eugenin.
- Clove gillyflower, Clove pink (Bot.), any fragrant self-colored carnation.
- n. (Bot.) One of the small bulbs developed in the axils of the scales of a large bulb, as in the case of garlic. A weight. A clove of cheese is about eight pounds, of wool, about seven pounds.