n. Something rigid that holds fast or binds things together; a piece of wood or metal, used to hold two or more pieces together. (a) An instrument with a screw or screws by which work is held in its place or two parts are temporarily held together. (b) (Joinery) A piece of wood placed across another, or inserted into another, to bind or strengthen. One of a pair of movable pieces of lead, or other soft material, to cover the jaws of a vise and enable it to grasp without bruising.
- (Shipbuilding) A thick plank on the inner part of a ship's side, used to sustain the ends of beams.
- A mass of bricks heaped up to be burned; or of ore for roasting, or of coal for coking.
- A mollusk. See Clam.
- Clamp nails, nails used to fasten on clamps in ships.
- vb. To fasten with a clamp or clamps; to apply a clamp to; to place in a clamp. To cover, as vegetables, with earth.
- n. A heavy footstep; a tramp.
- vb. ...