vb. To act upon; to produce an effect or change upon.
- To influence or move, as the feelings or passions; to touch. To love; to regard with affection. To show a fondness for; to like to use or practice; to choose; hence, to frequent habitually.
- To dispose or incline. To aim at; to aspire; to covet. To tend to by affinity or disposition.
- To make a show of; to put on a pretense of; to feign; to assume; as, to affect ignorance.
- To assign; to appoint. Affection; inclination; passion; feeling; disposition.
- An attempt to assume or exhibit what is not natural or real; false display; artificial show.
- A striving after. Fondness; affection.
Syn. - To influence; operate; act on; concern; move; melt; soften; subdue; overcome; pretend; assume.