vb. To contribute; to bring aid or supplies; to conduce; to minister. To apply or enforce the law. To dispense justice. To dispense or apply medicine. To take charge; to manage.
- (Law) To perform the office of administrator; to act officially; as, A administers upon the estate of B. Administrator. To manage or conduct, as public affairs; to direct or superintend the execution, application, or conduct of; as, to administer the government or the state.
- To dispense; to serve out; to supply; execute; as, to administer relief, to administer the sacrament.
- To apply, as medicine or a remedy; to give, as a dose or something beneficial or suitable.
- Extended to a blow, a reproof, etc.
- To tender, as an oath. (Law) To settle, as the estate of one who dies without a will, or whose will fails of an executor.
Syn. - To manage; conduct; minister; supply; dispense; give out; distribute; furnish.